The Ultimate Hospital Bag Checklist
Tuesday April 21, 2009see more by jen
My daughter arrived early at 37 weeks 3 days and I didn’t have my hospital bag packed yet! It was very ironic, because I am a total Type A planner. She was breech so we had a c-section scheduled for a week and a half later. When my water broke in the middle of the night unexpectely I was soooo not ready! My husband basically threw in my toothbrush and grabbed our cameras and we were out the door. This time around I want to be prepared! EARLY. 🙂
So mamas, I need YOUR help! I want to compile the ultimate hospital bag checklist based on experience from mamas like YOU! You will not only help me pack my bag, but other moms-to-be as well!
Can you leave a comment below with any essentials that you can think of that made your hospital experience more pleasant or something you wish you had but didn’t pack? It is SUPER easy. Click on the comments link at the bottom of this post, put in your name (or alias) and comment, and click “Create Post.” I will take all the items and then do another post with everything, the ultimate checklist!
- Spaghetti strap or nursing nightie that is easy to pull down for nursing (or one that buttons up)
- Outfit for your trip home
- Panties (granny style!)
- Lightweight robe
- Flip flops
- Your own shampoo/conditioner, soap and lotion for your first shower (which is heaven!)
- Make-up (optional, but I felt better putting on some lip gloss and blush before visitors sometimes)
- Hair dryer (I was in 4 days for a c-section, so I liked being able to wash & dry my hair the 3rd day)
- Sleep mask & ear plugs– Totally not necessary, but it helped me nap during the day
- Couple change of clothes for baby (the smallest ones you have – “newborn” size worked best for us)
- Baby socks & mittens
- Cell phone
- Manila folder for all the paperwork you will get
- Lansinoh cream or some sort of nipple cream
- Breastfeeding book
- Breast pads
- Video camera!!
Incidentally, while looking online for cute hospital bags, I came across this great company featured on Cool Mom Picks. Babytime Bags are chic maternity bags (pictured above) filled with both practical and indulgent items that you will need for your hospital stay. They are even personalized with your flip flop size! What a great baby shower gift to give!
Thanks for your help everyone…keep an eye out for my post coming up with all your great ideas!