Peppermint Play Dough Recipe
Wednesday December 21, 2011see more by jen
I take a Mommy & Me class with my youngest at our preschool and they have seriously the BEST play dough I have ever experienced! The secret ingredient is peppermint extract that makes the play dough smell minty and lovely! It is such a hit with the moms and kids, that the teacher gave us her recipe along with a great holiday gift idea for little ones.
This was my first attempt at making my own play dough, and I have to say it was very easy and so fun!
Peppermint Play Dough Recipe:
* 2 Cups White Flour
* Liquid Water Color or Food Coloring (as much as needed to get the color you want)
* 1/2 Cup Salt
* 3 Tablespoons Cream of Tartar (This was hard to find, I never saw it before. It was in the area with the salt and looks like baking powder.)
* 2 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
* 1 Tablespoon Peppermint Extract (Optional – but this is what makes it smell SO good!)
Ready, set, make!
1. Mix flour, salt and cream of tartar in a large bowl with a whisk.
2. Add 2 cups of water and your coloring of choice to get desired color.
3. Mix well with a wisk.
4. Add vegetable oil and peppermint extract.
5. Mix well with a wisk, then stir/smooth batter with a soft spoon or spatula.
6. Pour batter into a large skillet or electric pan and cook on medium heat while stirring constantly. Continue stirring and turning until play dough is cooked, thick, and no longer shiny. Don’t be afraid, the pan will clean easily. It cooked for me in about 5 – 7 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and place on counter top. When it cools, knead it over and over until it is the consistency you like. Be careful, it will be HOT!
Peppermint Play Dough Holiday Gift!
We divided our batch into small red and green play dough balls, put in holiday bags, and then tied a Christmas cookie cutter to it for my daughter’s friends. Very cute and inexpensive gift.
If you keep it in an air tight container, it will keep for a long time and doesn’t get as messy as other kinds.
[Recipe compliments of Miss Susie at St. Andrews Parent/Child Program. Smooch.]