How to Properly Cut an Onion [Video]

Do you know how to properly cut an onion??

In this video, my Tiny Oranges partner, Susanne (aka Your Sus Chef), shows us how she was taught in culinary school.

I have never seen this before! The technique is brilliant! Even my mother-in-law who is a fab cook learned something. I hope you do too!

Think you know how? Watch to find out!

And would LOVE your feedback on these vlogs! Please comment! Do you want to see more?

Gina says:

I cut onions exactly like you do Jen!! But not anymore – this was great info – thank you both!!

• 2

Glad I am not alone! This new way is going to be so much faster! I was so excited to post this it was ridiculous!

JennyH says:

Awesome! Please do more of these!! I’ll admit I shared the same “technique” as you, Jen!

• 4

Yay! I feel so happy that I am not the only one that did it that way!

What do you think we should do next?

How to mince garlic?

How to cut a bell pepper?

Would love your ideas!
      xoxo

Stephanie says:

I love it! I love to cook, but have always had “issues” with my onions…. Thanks ladies!

I FINALLY know how to cut an onion. How helpful…thank you!

• 7

And you are a total cook!!!!!!! I am sooo happy Susanne did this video as even people that cook can learn something!

Michelle says:

Amazing!!! Can’t wait to try it tonight!! Thanks Sus!!

Suzanne Towles says:

That was most helpful!! Thank you!! (Jen, I do it just like you so you’re not alone:)

Beckey says:

Fantastic video. And I just have to say, YAY! I’m doing it the right way. All those hours I’ve logged watching the Food Network finally paid off!

Michelle says:

I love this video Jen. I’ve been doing it wrong all these years! After trying it myself, I was amazed at how easy it was – I even wrote about it my blog so others can watch your fabulous video. I hope you do more how to videos.

I thought this was great! Although I already know how to cut an onion, I don’t know how to stop crying when I cut them! Any advice? I cry more than Ricky Schroder in the movie The Champ.

• 13
      Susanne says:

@Johnny- have you tried putting piece of bread in your mouth? It acts to block the fumes a bit & absorbs them so they don’t make it up to your eyes. (but you’ll look super silly 😉

Heather Cefalia says:

LOVE this to teach all of us ameteurs a couple pro tips! & LOVE Suz- great info– can’t wait for the recipes! 🙂