My Favorite Easy Tuna Casserole Recipe
Monday July 28, 2014see more by christy
Today I want to share with you my favorite easy tuna casserole recipe my family loves.
I’m a mama who likes tasty meals (with basic prep!)…and I have two picky little eaters on my hands…so this easy tuna casserole recipe is one of my go-to’s.
It was given to me years ago (I think at my wedding shower!) by one of my dear childhood friends (and fabulous cook!), Nancy. I’m so glad she’s given me a handful of easy recipes to follow.
Here we go!
Easy Tuna Casserole Recipe
– 6 oz wide egg noodles
– 1 can 9 1/4 oz can tuna
– 1 cup sliced celery
– 1/3 chopped onion (sometimes I leave this out, per the kiddos’ request)
– 1/4 cup chopped pimento (optional)
– 1 teaspoon of salt
– 1 cup cream of celery soup
– 1/2 cup of milk
– 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
– 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
– 1 small can of French’s fried onions
1. Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees.
2. Cook noodles until tender and drain.
3. Combine noodles, tuna, mayonnaise, veggies, and salt in a big bowl.
4. Blend soup and milk; heat through.
5. Add cheese to soup mixture; stir until cheese melts.
6. Add tuna noodle mixture and soup mixture together.
7. Transfer into an oven safe casserole dish.
8. Bake in the 475 degree pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
9. Add fried onions on top, and let cook until onions are golden brown; this usually only takes 2-3 minutes. (Sometimes, I shred extra cheese and sprinkle on top with the fried onions…yum!).
10. Let cool for a couple of minutes. Enjoy!
Picky kid tips:
– I call it “macaroni cheese pie,” instead of tuna casserole. Somehow this name resonates better with my kids.
– If you sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and let it melt, it looks more like “macaroni cheese pie.”
– I leave out the pimentos and chopped onions…that’s a little too much my kiddos’ tastes!
– Only sprinkle the fried onions on one half of the casserole…my kids only really like the “noodle and cheese part, mom.”
Last, I add a quick salad or heat up some frozen veggies, and voila! Dinner is served. It’s easy prep and is an easy crowd pleaser!
You can check out Nancy’s foodie Facebook page, Cooking with a Side of Sunshine for more recipe ideas!