Moms In Training Program for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Saturday October 11, 2014see more by christy
I want to introduce you to an amazing group of women who are making a difference in our community – the newly launched Moms In Training program with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society – a charity that has become very close to my heart.
What is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society?
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society exists to find cures and ensure access to treatments for all blood cancer patients…and is the world’s largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services.
Personally, I have been part of the Team in Training family and an advocate of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society now for three running “seasons.” Their dedication to finding a cure for all blood cancers and providing support to patients and families is invaluable.
What is Moms In Training?
This program was specifically created by LLS to recruit moms who are passionate about fighting blood cancers and saving lives. Moms In Training will get you ready to run or walk a 5K or 10k, and give you the opportunity to help raise money to fight cancer. After starting Moms In Training in different areas around the country, LLS decided to launch this program in Orange County.
Moms In Training will provide the coaching, training tools, mentoring and support to prepare you for your event…and in return, each participating mama is asked to fundraise for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. You will be asked to commit to raising at least $500 by December 1st. And don’t worry, Team in Training provides plenty of support, ideas, and motivation in your fundraising efforts (yes, I speak from experience)!
Upon registering, you will have up until October 25th to discontinue at no further fundraising obligation. Fun fact – the average mom has raised $1,500!
An Honored Hero
Every season, each Team in Training group chooses an honored hero…or sometimes, several honored heroes…to run in support of. This season, the Orange County Moms In Training group will be running in honor of a local mama of two youngsters who was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) in early 2013. After fighting for her life and going into remission, she has recently relapsed.
As a fellow mom, I can only imagine the heartbreaking news and horror of getting a cancer diagnosis. This is a way we can honor her bravery…and so many others who are battling this devastating disease.
Great Reasons to get Involved
– You’ll get in awesome shape and meet other moms (and kiddos) in your area!
– Run for a cause – you get to exercise with new friends in honor of an amazing cause – working to cure blood cancers. In its inaugural year, more than 200 “MIT” team members raised over $375,000, and last year they raised over a million dollars!
– They know moms are very busy, so MIT offers an 8-week workout program on Saturday mornings @ 8am in Woodbridge Park in Irvine. Get up bright and early for your workout!
– The training is from October 11th through December 6th – perfect timing to start walking and/or running – it’s finally cooling off!
– Finally, you get to celebrate the end of your Moms In Training program with a 5k or 10k run or walk at the Renegade Santa Run in Irvine on December 13th. Mark your calendars!
Want to Sign Up?
To sign up, or to ask for more information, please contact Elise at 714.418.5618
You can also visit: http://www.teamintraining.org/calso/firsttimehere/mit/
A Tiny Oranges Discount
Moms In Training of Orange County has generously offered a registration discount to Tiny Oranges’ readers! When you register, enter the coupon code – TINYORANGES – and it will reduce your registration fee to only $25 (that’s $75 off!)!
I hope you take advantage of this amazing experience – I can say that it has been life-changing for me!